- Antarctica ... Alaska, whatever
- ice cream factories
- Hitler's heart
- penguin exhibits
30 October 2007
The past 2 days have been cold. I am not happy about it ... I have greatly enjoyed being spoiled with unseasonably warm weather. However, I do acknowledge places where it is acceptable to be below 70 degrees (... VA is not one of them):
26 October 2007
California is on fire. Some may view this as a natural disaster. The reality of the situation is:
- God is displeased with Nancy Pelosi and is taking it out on all of California
25 October 2007
And now ... a tribute to my left thumb:
- I was a chronic left thumb sucker from the time I was born until .... 4th grade-ish.
- I wasn't like the other dopes in the world who relied on pacifiers, blankets, or a special stuffed animal to ease my fears and make me feel secure, I had my left thumb.
- My mom tells stories about how when I was a baby I mastered being able to move my thumb to the side of my mouth so I could eat and suck my thumb at the same time.
- Unlike the blanket and stuffed animal kids, I could take my thumb with me everywhere ... the car, the mall, school ... where ever I went, my left thumb was right there with me.
- My parents tried everything from bribing me with toys and money, to putting nail polish on my thumb to break my habit ... nothing worked.
- My thumb and I were committed to each other.
- My thumb was always there, whether I was going to sleep, having a tantrum, or bored at school.
- And, my left thumb is still there ... although I am now a recovering sucker ... I still tote my thumb around with me where ever I go ... with my thumb by my side the possibilities are endless.
24 October 2007
For as long as I can remember I spent every Saturday at my Gramma P's house. Now that I am older, (wiser), and away from home ... my Saturday morning routine is one of my most cherished and missed occurrences. My Saturdays of the past consisted of:
- Eating creamed chip beef and homemade biscuits ... every week ... I am practically 25 and the menu has never changed.
- watching birds feed in the back yard
- watching my mom, gramma, and aunt play Scrabble after breakfast
- now that I am older, I get to partake in Scrabble, although I am absolutely horrible at it ... I still get excited when my words exceed 5 letters.
- coloring Easter eggs
- putting up Christmas decorations
- Jumping off the steps over and over and hearing, "if you crash into the China cabinet, you're gonna be in trouble!" over and over.
When I go home to visit spending time at my Gramma's is something I look forward to the most. Although she has moved; the company, food, and entertainment remain the same ... and that's what I love.
23 October 2007
I absolutely despise gross public bathrooms. I blame my mom for instilling these feelings in me. When we were kids, she convinced my brother, sister, and me that public bathrooms didn't exist ... thus, she now fondly recalls that during our annual family excursion to Busch Gardens one summer I discovered the public bathrooms and thought they were a new ride.
Anyway, now I notice overwhelmingly clean facilities:
Anyway, now I notice overwhelmingly clean facilities:
- The Red Cross: whether it be at headquarters or out in Lorton, the RC has sparkling bathrooms
- Subway in Lorton Station
- Madison Square Garden
- Capital One Headquarters
- The ground level bathroom in Potomac Heights
19 October 2007
- Hardcover or paperback, and why?
- Paperback, they're cheaper and lighter to carry around
- If I were to own a book shop I would call it ...
- Cover to Cover
- My favorite quote from a book is ...
- When I saw my wife standing by the tracks as the train came by the piled logs at the station, I wished I had died before I loved anyone but her. -Hemingway, A Movable Feast
- The author (alive or diseased) I would love to have lunch with would be ...
- Psh, I can't eat when I'm nervous ... but I'd love to get drunk with Hemingway
- If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except from the SAS survival guide, it would be
- a phone book ... the pages would come in handy when starting fires
- I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that ...
- made me a profit
- The smell of an old book reminds me of ...
- used bookstores
- If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be ...
- Esther Greenwood ... from The Bell Jar
- The most overestimated book of all times is ...
- The Grapes of Wrath and Great Expectations, equally
- I hate it when a book ...
16 October 2007
- I have purchased books, read them, and then returned them
- I have a girl crush on Addison Montgomery
- I didn't need to watch the Eagles game, I knew they would beat the Jets
- October nights are good for sleeping with the window open
- I am excited about returning to the 757 for Thanksgiving
- I watch Kid Nation
- I plan on winning tickets to see Bruce Springsteen at the Verizon Center
Label me this: confessions
11 October 2007
I don't do well in crowds ... actually I try to avoid them as much as I can ... thus, I don't find the following situations very welcoming:
- movie theaters: actually, I don't really like movies to begin with, but being forced to spend money to sit in a bacteria infested seat for 2+ hours surrounded by strangers just makes it all the more horrible
- sporting events: crowds + obnoxious drunk people = no fun
- the metro: whether it's rush hour, tourists, stupid families, terrorists, or homeless people ... I hate them all
- church: yes, God is no exception for my dislike of crowds
- planes: I am a horrible flier to begin with ... mix that with spending money and being herded like cattle and it's just plain (or 'plane' get it?) miserable
- elevators: being in an elevator with strangers drives me nuts ... during the 20 second stint that we're together I visualize how horrible it would be to be stuck with them for an indefinite period of time
- concerts: ref. to sporting events
10 October 2007
Even though I am a Temp, and I am leaving on Friday, I was forced to attend the weekly staff meeting yesterday ... here are some of the notes I jotted down:
- dumb things about the meeting:
- forced introductions
- irrelevant information presented
- other people taking irrelevant notes
- the phrase, 'bio training will begin directly after this meeting' announced 5 times within a ten minute time frame
- assignment of micro-managing kitchen cleaning duty
- people asking dumb questions
09 October 2007
I took a blog quiz online ... these are my results:
- You're not in this for the money, for you blogging is all about the passion! Sure you might make a little pocket change now and again, but you know that it's the content, the audience and the people that are what makes blogging great!
- Experience: Moderate
- Sociability: Hermit
08 October 2007
One of my biggest pet peeves is people who chew with their mouths open. I think they're lazy and dumb ... seriously, it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. How difficult is it to chew with your mouth closed?
That being said, I present things that have an excuse for chewing loudly:
- old people without teeth
- people who have been rescued from a deserted island and are eating for the first time in months
07 October 2007
When I was a kid I wanted:
- cavities ... because other kids would come to school bragging about their fillings and flashing their silver fillings
- to break an arm or leg
I am now 24:
- I had braces on the top teeth for a mere 6 months
- still no glasses
- 00 cavities
- ... and I've never needed a cast
06 October 2007
05 October 2007
04 October 2007
- Book read: Into the Wild
- Book started: The Road
- Album added to my iPod: Bruce Springsteen, Magic
- Beverage spilled: a full glass of iced tea all over the kitchen
- Time wasted: working for the Man
- Nauseating moment: the smell of the homeless man next to me on the metro
- Famous crush: Mike Rowe
- Confession: even when my iPod is dead, I'll wear my headphones to deter people from talking to me
01 October 2007
October 1st's of the past:
- Ford put the Model T on the Market, 1908
- Jimmy Carter was born
- The George Washington Bridge opened
- Walt Disney World opened in 1971
- Ownership of the Panama Canal went back to Panama
- Sony released their first CD player
- October 1st is World Vegetarian Day