- when in doubt, go without: less food = less money = saving money fills the void left by a half empty stomach
- knock out the heavy weights: this should be obvious - I always skip the pasta, chicken salad, tuna salad, potato salad
- salad dressing: instead of putting the dressing directly on my salad, I put it in the nifty to-go containers ... thus I don't have to pay for it
- tomatoes: while I absolutely love love love tomatoes ... all that gooey stuff is excess weight I don't feel like paying for
- olives: I like olives ... I make it a point to eat about 3 on my way from the salad bar to the beverage area
- 32oz. drink: (1)the less ice the better. (2) After I fill my cup I usually take 2 huge gulps and then refill
- lastly, while I am in line I try to get a couple good bites from my salad ... after all, every ounce counts
29 November 2007
26 November 2007
- molasses cookie dough
A very random array of things to forget ...
21 November 2007
- I work in a 14 story building, but the fire drill only applied to floors 7 and below.
- The fire alarm is not actually an alarm but a sequence of voices saying things like, "there has been a fire reported in the building, please evacuate" and, "do not use the elevator, use the stairs!"
- Instead of evacuating outside ... fire drill protocol calls for evacuation to the parking garage.
- Question: Why?
- Answer: Being that this is a post 9-11 building, the parking garage is sturdy enough to withstand a 14 story building collapsing on it.
- How can you guarantee that a parking garage filled with cars and people can survive a building falling on it?
- And what if it doesn't work ... I envision engineers and architects accessing the damage, shrugging their shoulders and saying, "oops."
20 November 2007
- I was filling out a survey from a recent trip to the grocery store to win $1,000 and at the end it asked for my age range ... I was stunned with the realization that I am no longer 18-24. I am 25-34. I am 25-34. I am 25-34. Can you believe that?
- I had to renew my driver's license ... now it is horizontal ... leaving no doubt that I am a full fledged adult.
- Hearing things like, 'beer fridge!', 'shotgun!', 'beer bong!', 'waterfall!' just aren't as exciting as they used to be.
- Last weekend, I had to force myself to stay up past 11.
17 November 2007
- laundry detergent
- face wash
- body wash
- 2 bars of face soap
- shower cap
- 2 bars of soap
- Halloween napkins
- 4 mini bottles of shampoo
- 4 mini bottles of conditioner
- body lotion
- 1 stuffed Mucinex Monster
16 November 2007
- 1400: Trivia Master
- 1000 - 1399: Genus Genius
- 600 - 999: not bad, you need more practice
- below 600: console yourself by remembering that the definition of trivia is "unimportant things"
15 November 2007
Call me crazy, I am not a big fan of candy. However, I cannot get my fill of Peanut M&M's. I could live on them if I had to. Last week was my birthday, and I collected a grand total of 3.5 pounds of Peanut M&M's ... including:
- Classic Peanut M&M's
- Shrek colored 'Ogre-Sized' Peanut M&M's
- and 1 bag of Holiday Mix Peanut M&M's
14 November 2007
- Dave Matthews ... Gavin
- Counting Crows ... the night the cops showed up
- Modest Mouse ... Holly
- Brittney Spears ... MegFarrellHo
- Gavin DeGraw/ John Mayer ... Lindsay
- Weezer ... EmilyMiller
- Sister Hazel ... being too drunk on the streets of Norfolk
- Amy Grant (not that I make any effort whatsoever to hear Amy Grant) ... having the flu when I was a kid and throwing up all over my bed
12 November 2007
- I dreamt that I was dating Nick Hogan
- Yes, Nick Hogan
- When I was a kid I had a Hulk Hogan lunch box at some point but that was the extent of my connections to the Hogans until last night
- Forget the fact that I'm like 8 years older than him
- And it was one of those dreams that seemed real ...
- I woke up still thinking that we were dating
- In my dream I was on some wake boarding vacation with the Hogans
- Linda hogan was all pissed because Nick ripped a hole in the sleeve of his rash guard (I mean we weren't surfing, I don't know why he had a rash guard)
- We spent the day out on the water and then went to a hotel
- Liz ... Hulk, Linda, Brooke, and Nick ... my bf
09 November 2007
08 November 2007
- grew up going to visit the Real Santa every year in Richmond
- have been to Europe twice
- jumped off of a cliff
- saw Reagan's casket at the Capital
- survived the family voyage to Disney World when I was in the 4th grade
- saw 4th of July fireworks at the Lincoln Memorial
- got stitches for the first time when I was 22
- have seen the sun set/ rise and storms roll in over the James River
- had pink hair in high school
- spit off the top of the Eiffel Tower when I was 17
- jumped out of a plane when I was 19
- went on an 18-wheeler trip
- had a secret on Postsecret
- swam in the ocean too many times to count
- was picked up to play college softball, after not playing for 2 years
- graduated from college
- have a tattoo
- I also have a sister and brother
- got food poisoning at Cheddars when I was 14, and I haven't eaten there since
- played poker in Vegas
- ate a hot dog at the Sistine Chapel
- saw the Pope
- went to mass at St. Patrick's with my mom and sister
- sailed from VA to North Carolina
- visited Manhattan in the summer
- outlived people I never thought would outlive
- have friends that mean more to me than they know
- love to read
- hate to shop
- despise uncomfortable shoes
- adore overweight basset hounds
Today I am 25 ... I have been blessed ... I have lived.
07 November 2007
Yesterday was a teacher workday so my brother didn't have school. He called me while I was at work to say that Mom took him to lunch at Lonestar. I called her; this is how it went down:
- Liz: So you took Joey out to lunch on his day off?
- Ruthann: Yeah
- Liz: You never took Stephanie and me out of our days off ... he's so spoiled; such a typical youngest child
- Ruthann: Well we did get the lunch special ... 2 lunches for $6.00
- Liz: Lonestar has a lunch special?
- Ruthann: No, I was just trying to make you feel better, but we did just get hamburgers
- Liz: Really?
- Ruthann: No, we actually had steak
- Liz: Mom!
- Ruthann: Bye
03 November 2007
Gayle and I shared a unique childhood relationship … she annoyed me.
- On the first day of kindergarten she and I had to sit at the same table. She was crying, so I told her she was stupid, and I got in trouble. I remember being confused because I thought that she should have gotten in trouble for crying ... who cries in kindergarten?
- She was the only kid at school that was Jewish … or more likely, just the most outspoken.
- All she talked about was being Jewish.
- The few times she wasn't talking about being Jewish she was talking about having tubes in her ears or the fact that she had asthma, or that she had to wear glasses.
- Her family passed out raisins for Halloween.
- By the 1st grade Gayle didn't have many friends.
- So I was nice to her … no big deal, I thought that was the extent of our relationship …
- and then there was the day we had show & tell.
- Gayle lugged in the biggest trash bag I had ever seen … comparable to a sack that you'd envision Santa hauling around on Christmas Eve.
- Then she proceeded to pull out stuffed animals … she would take one out, hold it up and announce to the rest of the class, "This is my _____ (bear, rabbit, penguin, giraffe, tiger, sloth … it seemed like she had 328 animals to introduce) and her name is Elizabeth, because Elizabeth is my best friend."
- By the end of the day, I had no friends in my 1st grade class, or the rest of Riverside Elementary School for that matter.
- Gayle's stunt was probably sparked my social anxiety issues.
- So I scratched her face out of my yearbook … but I haven't been able to repress the memories.
- I've heard that Gayle is now a teacher … It's funny to think that she's out in the world somewhere tormenting unsuspecting youth the same way she did when we were in elementary school.