- I am looking forward to seeing you.
- Are you excited?
- You have already arrived in other parts of the world.
- If you're not too busy I would appreciate your help in assisting the Eagles with beating the Vikings.
- I'll be at a party when you arrive ... but we'll meet up shortly after that.
- If you see 2008 on his way out, thank him for his time.
- While it was not the most exciting year, it surly wasn't a bad year.
- ... here's to a wonderful year!
31 December 2008
29 December 2008
- One of my favorite parts of, A Christmas Story, is at the very end when you hear Ralphie say, "That was the Christmas I was introduced to Chinese turkey."
- ... well, for me this Christmas ended up being, "the Christmas I was introduced to Spanish mass."
- for the past few years my family has gone to the 8:00pm mass on Christmas Eve
- ... this year the 8:00pm mass was the Spanish mass ... I guess no one payed close enough attention to the bulletin
- anyway, I observed/ lived the following:
- we were not the only obvious non-Spanish speaking family that stumbled into the wrong mass ... we shared that honor with about 5 other families
- pretty much no one showed up until 8. Jockeying for good seats must not be an issue in their culture.
- likewise mass did not start on time
- by far the most popular outfits were jeans, tee shirts, and hoodies ... with Nike's. I'm not even kidding, even the ushers were wearing jeans and sneakers
- the band included maracas
- ... and they actually sang Feliz Navidad
28 December 2008
26 December 2008
25 December 2008
24 December 2008
- I saw a green shirt I like the other day, and the first thing that popped in my head was, 'I could wear this on St. Patrick's Day'
- I am looking forward to 2009
- I wish Christmas was as exciting/ magical as it was when I was a kid
- I hope I made the good list
- No one should be alone on Christmas
- ... not even the Grinch
23 December 2008
19 December 2008
14 December 2008
- 8 planets in the solar system
- 7 dwarfs
- 7 wonders of the world
- 8 reindeer
- 5 oceans
- 7 deadly sins
- 7 continents
- 13 major world deserts
- 10 commandments
13 December 2008
12 December 2008
09 December 2008
07 December 2008
06 December 2008
03 December 2008
- I have been helping my mom shop for a festive holiday shower curtain.
- unfortunately, the shower curtain that we envision does not exist
- I was thinking of a jolly cartoon-ish image of Santa in the bathtub ... with bubbles everywhere, and the words, Ho! Ho! Ho! floating up.
- ... nothing even close
- we have found a few holiday shower curtains
- but they're all lame ... nothing fun and exciting.
- Is Santa in a bathtub too much to ask for?
30 November 2008
- November has flown by
- Christmas will be here in no time!
- I love the holiday season
- ... and I usually go through a major post Christmas depression
- 30 posts in 30 days?
- - easy peasy.
- ... so long, November
29 November 2008
28 November 2008
27 November 2008
- deep fried Oreos
- malt liquor
- hot tea
- wireless internet
- being able to read
- Sudoku puzzles
- being left handed
- Grey's Anatomy
- Life on Mars
- Top Chef
- The History Channel
- my iPod
- McNabb, my parents' cat
- snail mail
- fingerless mitts
- koala bears
- the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
26 November 2008
- Christmas Vacation
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Home Alone
- Dear God
- The Grinch Stole Christmas
- The Grinch
- Serendipity ... it's Christmas-esque
- Miracle on 34th Street ... the original
- A Christmas Story
- The Muppet Christmas Carol
- Polar Express
- White Christmas
- It's a Wonderful Life
25 November 2008
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Rapid City, South Dakota
- Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Bismarck, North Dakota
- Houma, Louisiana
- Morgantown, West Virginia
- Logan, Utah
- Fargo, North Dakota
- Casper, Wyoming
- Billings, Montana
- Ames, Iowa
- Lafayette, Louisiana
- Midland, Texas
- Iowa City, Iowa
- Lincoln, Nebraska
- Portsmouth, New Hampshire
- Great Falls, Montana
- Charlestown, West Virginia
- Des Moines, Iowa
- Missoula, Montana
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Provo, Utah
- Odessa, Texas
- Pocatello, Idaho
- Sioux City, Iowa
24 November 2008
- I feel like a jerk asking for things for Christmas because I don't really need anything ... but the more I think about it the more things I realize I want:
- a new planner
- Burberry - The Beat perfume
- this sweater from Target
- Stranger Than Fiction dvd
- Things to Make and Do Journal from Urban Outfitters
- gift cards
- cold hard cash ;)
- ... and I'm sooo excited that Knit Two ... the sequel to The Friday Night Knitting Club came out today! I am going to attempt to wait until Christmas to read it
23 November 2008
- Clueless is on tv today
- I have always loved Clueless
- like Cher, I also liked Josh
- ... and I still find Paul Rudd dreamy
- being the young naive gal that I was when the movie came out, I thought it made high school look so cool ... even though I knew it was quite unrealistic
- ... and speaking of naive, I didn't realize the amount of pot smoking that went on throughout the movie
- I also didn't realize that Christian was gay until like last year
22 November 2008
- Good country cookin' for travelers and neighbors alike
- Eat. Shop. Relax.
- Good country cookin'
- Serving Breakfast all day. Every day.
21 November 2008
20 November 2008
- I have all this vintage stuff that I am going to try to sell online ... but first things first, I need to figure out a name for the shop.
- I couldn't think of anything on my own so I asked my mom for suggestions ... she sent me this list:
- Elizabeth's Boutique
- Newton’s Crate
- Glory Days
- Better Days
- Liz’s Room
- Secret Garden
- The Ties that Bind
- Back in the Day
- Yesterdays News
- ... so then I was overwhelmed with options ... AND THEN light bulbs started flashing in my mind:
- Flux Capacitor
- ... I just don't know if people would get it
- decisions decisions
19 November 2008
- last night I found myself watching the Sex and the City reruns on TBS late night
- ... that got me to thinking about the movie
- and how I keep meaning to buy it ... but then I remember how ummm angry (?) the movie made me
- I absolutely loved the scenes where Smith bought Samantha the ring, when Carrie attacked Big with the flowers on the street after he ditched her, and how caring the girls were when they first got down to Mexico ...
- but if I was in charge:
- Steve would not have cheated on Miranda
- Samantha would have stayed with Smith
- and Carrie would not have ended up back with Big
- ugh! ... maybe if that was the case the movie would have been boring and predictible, oh well.
18 November 2008
- since I am on a hiatus from the working world I have been watching The Price Is Right on a daily basis
- ... and the more i watch it, the more I hate Drew Carey
- first of all he's short
- and fat
- and not funny
- and awkward
- and a horrible host in general
- ... I usually spend the hour rolling my eyes and daydreaming about Bob Barker
- ... those were the days
17 November 2008
- I never drink soda
- ... except when it's in the form of a cocktail
- I love fingerless mitts
- I hate cereal
- I type slow
- I read slow
- I wish money grew on trees
- ... or at least on a tree that I owned
- I listen to talk radio
- ... guys who listen to talk radio are all the more cuter
- I scowl too much ... hopefully my face won't get stuck that way
16 November 2008
- Let's be honest ... a lot of things annoy me:
- nail bitters
- loud chewers
- bad tippers
- people who drag their feet when they walk
- Redskins fans
- Cowboys fans
- people who confuse/ misuse your & you're
- stupid people in general
- screaming kids in stores and restaurants
- slow moving checkout lines
- cold weather
- the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz
15 November 2008
- A few years ago I went to a monster truck show with chaps from college
- I went last night with my mom and lil' brother
- This is what I learned:
- there are rules to the 'competition'
- Gravedigger is allowed to do whatever he/ it wants
- no matter what Gravedigger wins ... even if he obviously loses
- the loudest cheers are for wrecks, flipped over trucks, or flat tires
- ... I don't understand why
- based on the amounts of people there, you would never guess that we are in an 'economic crisis'
14 November 2008
13 November 2008
- I guess I've always been a nerd ... I was just unaware when I was a kid, but:
- I used to 'scan' the barcodes on my books with a closed marker and pretend I was checking them in and out of the library
- I had sticker albums
- ... several of them
- I had a paperclip collection
- View-Master was one of my favorite toys
- ... I had a carrying case for it, and a lot of reels
- I proudly wore a fannypack
12 November 2008
- I was reading today that they are re-making the Karate Kid
- didn't 'they' learn their lesson when they made The Next Karate Kid?
- I went through a huge Karate Kid phase when I was a kid
- While Daniel was ok, I always had a secret crush on bad boy Johnny ... until he went too far by breaking the rules
- anyway, why the heck are original movies being tarnished by cheap knockoffs?
- ... and it gets better - apparently Will Smith's son is going to be playing Daniel
- ... I can only imagine who will be playing Mr. Miyagi
11 November 2008
10 November 2008
- the pile of things I want to read continues to grow ... while my 'read' pile remains stagnant
- the newest additions to the 'I want' list are:
- Gone with the Wind
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
- ... I am refusing to purchase any more books until I finish all of the partially read/ unread/ collecting dust/ neglected books that seem to be following me around
- I don't know what has happened to me, but I have been in some sort of perpetual reading slump
- ... ugh!
09 November 2008
- I am not a huge football fan
- but for some reason my family has always liked the Eagles
- tonight they, who are 5-3 play the Giants, who are 7-1
- someone has to beat the Giants
- ... it may as well be the Eagles
08 November 2008
keep a detailed log of books read throughout the year
- Complete Time's Top 100 Reading List
sell/ donate books that have no lasting impression on me donate clothes to Goodwill
- Run in the Rock n' Roll Half Marathon
- join the gym
floss at least 3 times a week
- tour a brewery
- take a yoga class
- pray more
sell stuff on Etsy open a savings account
- kick the t.v. out of the bedroom
- purchase personalized Peanut M&M's
- send letters/ cards to my Gramas... just to say hi
- send letter to Alex Trebek
- learn to drink Crown on the rocks
eat a BigMac
- splurge every now and then
get the Sometimes Y tee shirt
- get a Macbook ... maybe (this would fulfill the splurge goal)
purchase and learn to use a sewing machine
- attend a book signing
get baked in a tanning bed
- visit the Farmers Market on Saturdays
party down at Medieval Times do not let your life be dictated by your job worry less invest more time in friendships
06 November 2008
- I have this strange infatuation with things sold on tv ... but I have never bought anything infomercial-esque
- as much as I complain about cold weather, a part of me still loves the snow
- I watched MTV's The Island from start to finish, including the reunion show that aired last night
- I have also kept up with this season of Dancing with the Stars
- I am excited about the next season of Top Chef
- I think I'm watching too much tv
- I should read more
- I think it's rather depressing that it is dark by 5:30pm these days
05 November 2008
04 November 2008
03 November 2008
- At some point I want to be a school bus driver.
- I would also like to work at a toll booth.
- ... I know, not the most highly sought after jobs.
- When I was a kid I always wanted to work at a library.
- When they added the self check-out machine at the public library, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.
- I also went through a phase of wanting to be a paleontologist.
- I worked at the library in college.
- I really enjoyed the job.
- However, the majority of the supervisors were uber lame.
02 November 2008
- I am/ was a November baby.
- My birthday is in 6 days.
- I am going to be 26.
- I had major issues turning 25.
- I'm not sure why.
- I never liked the fact that my birthday is in November.
- ... I now love that my birthday is in November.
- I like All Saints & All Souls Day
- and I love Robert Frost's My November Guest
- and I decided to partake in NaBloPoMo
01 November 2008
- Felicity's sidekick Elizabeth
- Julie & Ivy
- Kit & Ruthie
- Molly's sidekick Emily
- not to mention the dolls you can custom design, the Bitty Babies, the Bitty Baby twins, AND the cat & dog
31 October 2008
30 October 2008
29 October 2008
- I dropped an egg taking it out of the refrigerator
- eggshells got into the batter
- I was gradually adding brownie mix to the other ingredients ... and completely forgot to add about 1/4 of the mix ... until after I poured it into the baking pan
- speaking of which, I didn't grease the pan
- I did remember to pre-heat the oven, but then realized that the boiler pan was in the oven
- I overcooked the brownies
- ... but they're still editable
25 October 2008
- pizza ordered
23 October 2008
22 October 2008
- the summer before my senior year of high school I went to Europe so I needed a passport
- my passport expires next year ... or something like that
- I know it's not that big of a deal, but for whatever reason I am having issues with it
- my mom took me to get my passport pictures taken
- back when i was a naive 17 year old
- it was raining and cold
- I was wearing a gray Gap sweater that was Whitney's
- I thought it was cool
- since my initial trek over to Europe I have since returned to Italy
- my passport has also accompanied me in most cases that I need more than 1 i.d.
- it's like a loyal sidekick that has the ability to get me into other countries
19 October 2008
- Real Simple, November
- O at Home, November (Am I the only one that thinks that sounds dirty?)
- The Secret
- The Screwtape Letters
- The Phantom Tollbooth
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
- Wesley the Owl
- and don't forget, Infinite Jest and Herzog are in a pile of their own ... it's a mix between 'stalled' and 'in progress'
18 October 2008
- I don't pop zits ... ever. Not even once ... I think it's funny when people start picking, poking, and squeezing the first inkling of a blemish
- when I was a kid I always hoped I would have really bad breakouts
- combine that with my hope for needing glasses and braces
- ... I never got what I wanted
- I only wash my face in the shower. I am not coordinated enough to wash my face in the sink because I: splash water everywhere, get soap in my eyes, never feel like I adequately wash or rinse my face, and splash water all over myself
- I think guys with acne scars trump guys without them
17 October 2008
16 October 2008
- I want to be more tan
- I want to carve pumpkins but I feel too old
- in about 3 weeks I'll be 26
- I think it would be cool to work in a toll booth ... maybe for like a day
- warm weather makes me happy
- I'd be lost without my iPod
- stupid people should not vote
- I own the Shrek 2 soundtrack ... I'm not sure why
- I watch Dancing with the Stars ... I'm not sure why
- speaking of t.v. - Korto should have won Project Runway
15 October 2008
- snail mail
- bar soap
- concerts/ live music
- bikes and walking
- styrofoam cups
14 October 2008
- our first meal was a gluttonous feast at the friendly neighborhood Waffle House
- and that was only the kick off meal, we ate a lot throughout the weekend
- sold out festivals, we batted 0 for 2
- a tour of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg ... it was amazing ... envision Vegas meets Nags Head, NC minus casinos and an ocean
- beautiful scenery
- not realizing the demand for pancake houses in Tennessee; we must have spotted 50+
- Lindsay's rendition of the Davey Crockett jingle ... constantly
- go cart racing
- Ripley's Haunted Adventure
- Star Cars: we actually did not pay to go in, but from the outside you could see a bunch of the featured cars, including: the DeLorean from Back to the Future!
- a night at the Dixie Stampede ... it's a Medieval Times in the form of the North v. South; it was amazing!
11 October 2008
- butt pillow*
- knitting stuff
- extra shoes
- blanket for car ride
- phone charger
09 October 2008
- Sex and the City
- Bridget Jones's Diary
- The Notebook ... twice
- Knotting Hill
- and Mr. Deeds is on right now. While I understand it is not sappy, it does fall into the happy ending category
08 October 2008
07 October 2008
- finish orange hat
- inventory hats
- inventory/ rate wines consumed in the past week
- copy patterns of hats into pattern book
- copy wines & evaluations ... blog?
- work on blog
- work out ... one way or another
- work on not consuming mass amounts of brownies that I made last night at 9:30 just because I felt like eating brownies and chocolate ice-cream
- I vow to quit slacking off with my blog and get back on the List train
- most likely headed to Tennessee this weekend
- in exactly 1 month (+ 1 day) I will be 26 - I feel like I have just come to terms with being 25, yikes!
- I had a dream last night that I was in some sort of college level math class, and I had to take a test that was completely unprepared for
03 October 2008
02 October 2008
- elementary school I attended
- favorite teacher
- city mother was born in
- city father was born in
- name of childhood hero
- my favorite pastime
- favorite sports team
- high school mascot
- make of first car
- make of first bike
27 September 2008
26 September 2008
25 September 2008
- my dad taking us fishing there
- being bitter about occasionally having to share my fishing poll with BPong
- my sister constantly trying to release the nightcrawlers back into the wild because she was upset about my dad using them for bait
- being traumatized when my dad was bitten by a catfish ... and at the time there seemed to be mass amounts of blood
- swimming in the river before they banned swimming there
- swimming in the river after they banned swimming there
- feeding the ducks
- watching the turtles
- watching amazing sunsets over the river
- sledding in the snow
20 September 2008
- Cookie Dough
- Georgia Mud Fudge
- Strawberry Cheesequake
- Reese's Pieces
- Chocolate Extreme
17 September 2008
- 2 Root Beers
- curly fries
- potato skins
- 3 Miller Lite's
- 3 Michelob Ultra's
16 September 2008
15 September 2008
- reading books
- reading magazines
- thinking about any sort of reading
- sitting in the middle
- sitting in the backseat for extended periods of time
- being drunk
- curvy roads
- stop & go traffic
10 September 2008
- You must never wash the pants.
- You must never double cuff the pants. It's tacky.
- You must never say the word "phat" while wearing the pants. You must also never think to yourself "I am fat" while wearing the pants.
- You must never let a boy take off the pants (although you may take them off yourself in his presence).
- You must not pick your nose while wearing the pants. You may, however, scratch casually at your nostril while really kind of picking.
- You must follow the procedures for documenting your time in the pants.
- You must write your sisters throughout the summer, no matter how much fun you are having without them.
- You may only possess the pants for the specified length of time before passing them on to one of your sisters. Failure to comply will result in a severe spanking upon our reunion.
- You must not wear the pants with a tucked-in shirt and belt. See rule #2.
- Remember: Pants = love. Love your pals. Love yourself.
09 September 2008
- I was moving out of my apartment
- traveling for work
- finding places to sleep when I was back in town
- hoarding money
- figuring out what I was going to be doing, and not be doing after I moved
- so ... this brings me to now
- I left my job
- I'm staying with my parents
- I came to the conclusion that it was time for a change ... I was/ am just unsure of the specific change
- all I know is (... call me an idealist/ dumb/ naive/ quarter life crisis) is that right now I am not going to settle for a job that I can tolerate ... I want more
- in the mean time, I am taking some time off ... I have foreshadowed my expected expenses and I should have my bases/ bills covered through the end of the year
- I'm hanging out ...
- catching up with friends
- sleeping in 'til 10:00
- going to the dentist
- watching Pineapple Express
- updating my resume
- working on a major update of the List
- ... and don't get me wrong - if the right job presents itself ... I'll be ready to re-join the workforce
03 September 2008
02 September 2008
- Bristol ... the 17 year-old knocked up one (fully living up to her potential)
- Piper Indy
28 August 2008
- while I am paid for each mile that I drive, I continue to travel with the windows down as opposed to running the gas guzzling a/c
- I get to write of water/ soda that I drink throughout the day while I work ... so I've been hoarding unopened water bottles ... I mean, I'll drink them eventually ... and who turns down being reimbursed?
- I've been ordering real beverages with my meals as opposed to just getting water
- I've also been treating myself to a brew with dinner, compliments of my company
- I haven't got up the nerve to pick up a 40 ... though it has crossed my mind
- I've been getting 'real' drinks at Starbucks instead of just iced-tea
- while I typically pick my meals based on price ... I have been instead choosing based on my appetite
- I can crank up the a/c at the hotel because I'm not paying for it!
- I'll leave it at that because the more I write, the more I feel like Scrooge McDuck
27 August 2008
- it drives me nuts when people confuse then and than
- as well as there/their/they're and you're/your
- however, I still confuse good and well ... and further/ farther
- I always spell 'appreciate' 'apprechiate' ... it just seems better with an h?
- and I never know if surprise is suprise or surprise. -maybe I should start spelling it surrrprise
- when in doubt, I always just add an ellipsis
- semi-colon's are underutilized
- I believe that too many words exist ... I mean, what are we trying to prove with so many damn synonyms?
26 August 2008
- Rescue 911 scared the -ish out of me when I was a kid ... but I watched in constantly ... actually just thinking of the theme music still gives me the creeps
- I like going new places, but I don't like actually traveling ... does that make sense?
- I am having major issues with the fact that the summer is practically over
- an avocado is the most yuppie food that exists
- while I am happy that I'm only working in Jersey 4 days this week, I am bummed that I am working 1o hour days, and then working in VA on Friday
- I'm in desperate need of a vacation ... the longer, the better
- I don't think I have ever been this un-tan/ pale/ white/ sickly looking in August in all of my life
25 August 2008
As I was watching The Devil Wears Prada the other night it dawned on me that I am drawn to bad movies. More specifically, I am addicted to movies that are aimed at an age bracket (or 2) below myself. But you know what? I am ok with this ... I am secure enough with who I am to admit that on any given day, given the chance, I would watch:
- Drive Me Crazy
- Bring It On
- 10 Things I hate About You
- Varsity Blues
- Lizzie McGuire Movie
- Cinderella Story
- 13 Going On 30
- Blue Crush
- 16 Candles
- Princess Diaries
22 August 2008
For her gift, I must give credit to Lindsay ... who had the idea to do this for her mom for Mother's day. Once I got over how cheesy it seemed, it seemed like an amazing gift. Write 30 notes/ memories for my momma, and then put them in a cute box, and she can read them whenever ... preferably one at a time.
While I typically keep List un-cheesy and not uber personal, I decided I'd share my notes to my mom ... she deserves it.
- I know your smell; I can't describe it ... and it's not a bad smell, I just know your smell
- I remember counting your hair when I couldn't sleep ... during the 13+ years I insisted on sleeping in your room
- You can make Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes
- You can color in the lines better than anyone I've ever met
- Whenever we were sick or hurt and you said, "I wish it was me instead" ... you always seemed like you really meant it.
- I've heard you say the f- word more than once, but no more than 5 times ... you're a bad-ass
- We've seen Bruce Springsteen together ;)
- You have no idea how much I enjoyed being the only daughter over 11 and you being the only mom over 40 at the Hilary Duff Today show performance
- I remember yelling at you when you would read to me and change/ emulate characters' voices ... it drove me crazy ... the thought of it still drives me crazy
- I'll never forget or forgive you for trying to convince me that your arm was broken
- I've never understood why you hate dryer sheets with such passion
- I can't imagine not spending Saturday's at Gramma's house ... and eating creamed chip beef, and watching you, Susan, and Gramma play Scrabble
- I saw how nervous you were on the first day that Joey rode the bus to school ... it was a defining moment of strength for the both of you.
- The first time you bleached your hair, I was in the 5th grade ... I saw you near the auditorium at Riverside ... I was amazed at how different you looked.
- You drink Crown straight up ... I aspire to drink like that.
- Stephanie and I were lucky to get notes on our lunch box napkins.
- You watched me play softball in 30 degree weather, 100 degree weather, and rain. I remember spotting you and Stephanie in the stands at the state games when I played against Culpepper the summer I was 16 ... and seeing how engrossed in the game you both were
- I remember walking to school with you, and Joey in his stroller on my first day of kindergarten ... and holding your hand and not wanting to go ... that was the beginning of me hating school
- I remember when Joey crawled out of his car seat on the way home from McDonald's and I had to crawl through the minivan to find him
- I kept all of your notes and cards you sent me during the first year I was at G.Mason.
- I miss gliding through the Cartier Christmas lights tunnel with you and Stephanie
- Eskimo, butterfly, kiss, shake
- You painstakingly helped me learn how to correctly spell enough states and state capitols to pass 8th grade Civics (i.e. Connect I cut [get it?])
- I remember you taking me to get a chocolate malt after leaving the orthodontist's office with braces
- I'm not a fan of your handwriting
- Your April Fool's pranks are out of control. You've been tormenting us since we were little. I have April Fool's Day anxiety mid-March through mid-April.
- Carving pumpkins was never the same after the year you almost severed your hand and had to go to the emergency room
- Given the opportunity, I truly believe you'd leave Dad for Bruce Springsteen ... I don't know if that is scary of cool.
- I'm so happy you haven't had some nutty mid-life crisis
- I know I call you Ruthann ... but I am well aware that you are my mother, and in most situations like ours, the offspring references the one who birthed her as, "Mom." I'll work on that, Ruthann. Doh!
20 August 2008
19 August 2008
- I cannot put into words how amazed I was by the Bruce Springsteen concert last night in Richmond, VA
- my mom and I drafted our preferred set lists and compared them
- then we started out the night with dinner and drinks at the Tobacco Company's "Bruce Springsteen's Magic Bus" pre-concert party
- there was Springsteen music blasting, a ticket raffle, shuttle passes being passed out, a huge crowd around the bar ... and that's when I noticed it
- I was the youngest person in the room
- clearly Bruce & Co. reeled in their fans back in the 70's ... and they have remained loyal followers
- that is when I started calling the shuttle to the concert the, "geriatric express"
- my mom didn't seem to appreciate that
- once we got to the show, I was again surrounded by people twice my age ... there seemed to be no middle ground ... either you were 50+ or you were the child of a person 50+
- I didn't really care; the concert was amazing
- I gave my mom a dumbfounded look (as if I realized Santa wasn't real) when Bruce didn't scream during Prove It All Night (one of my top 3 songs) ... she patted me on the shoulder and said, "he just can't yell like he used to"
- however, he still bounces around the stage like he's in his 20's ... he jumped and kicked; literally rolled around; swung his guitar around; pulled kids up on stage; and ran and slid across the stage
- with the exception of of Bruce's politically charged intro to "Livin' in the Future" ... they did not disappoint
- I had a great time, and I am glad I was able to go with my mom
- plus, where else can you scream, "tramps like us, baby we were born to run" and blend in with 1,000's of people around you?
18 August 2008
- This afternoon I'm going down to Richmond to meet up with my mom and then go to the Bruce Springsteen concert
- I'm excited about a 1/2 day of work!
- ... and the concert
- ... but not driving
- We're going to a pre-concert party at the Tobacco Company
- my mom is hoping that Bruce will be there
- in fact, she said that she is bringing her preferred set list to slip to him in case she bumps into him
- I believe Bruce is the one man my mom would leave my dad for
- that kind of creeps me out
17 August 2008
- I liked Ben Stiller ... but that was before Tropic Thunder
- I could not be more disappointed in Stiller or Dreamworks
- It's appalling that in 2008 this movie has been created and released that sends such a horrible heartless message ... that message being that it is ok to make fun of people with disabilities.
- In America, there are 14.3 million people with cognitive disabilities ... why should a movie be able to get away with making fun of them?
15 August 2008
13 August 2008
- fake fireworks at the opening ceremonies
- China's quest to get more medals than the Americans, "If China can beat the U.S., it will mean that although we are not number one in military power, in sports we are. Our athletes can defeat the Americans in spirit."
- cheating to win
- lack of access to the internet ... which was promised back in 2001
- banning ugly kids from t.v. ... which leads to my favorite quote: "The reason was for the national interest," said Chen Qigang, the ceremony's musical director, in a state radio interview. "The child on camera should be flawless in image, internal feeling and expression."
12 August 2008
- I got there as a car was going through the gate. I thought about just tailgating them in, but then I hesitated and missed my chance.
- so I pushed the call button
- meanwhile a car pulled up behind me
- after I pushed and released the button, I realized that I was supposed to keep the button pushed down
- so I pushed it again
- and things started rings, and then silence, and then a beep, and then more silence
- I was hopeful that the gate would just magically open
- but it didn't
- a voice said, "you have to tell me while you're here" ... in a very Wizard of Oz voice sort of way
- [in hindsight this may have been the same guy from the last time I was there ... I just pushed and fiddles with the button until the gate opened until I sped through]
- anyway, so I responded, "visitor" and realized that I didn't push the stupid button to speak
- so then I did a combo of pushing and releasing the button and yelling VISITOR
- gate opened
- game over
11 August 2008
10 August 2008
- "Flexible Managements Ease Recession Impact" -May 1982 Merrill Lynch Newsletter
- "Mexicans are used to working 50+ hours a week, compared to Americans who complain about working 40 hour weeks" -1985 brochure about the benefits of moving your business to Mexico
- "Save the Wild Dolphin" -Florida license plate theme
- "Brace for the smooth taste" - Hurricane slogan, printed on the bottle
- "It's a little bit hot tonight ... I sweat even if it's cold outside, but when it's hot it's a lil' bit disgusting" - Dave Matthews, Fairfax, VA 6.28.08
- "Rule 1: Love is a battlefield." - Jennifer Garner, 13 Going on 30
- "See you at the debate, bitches." - Paris Hilton
- "I've gotta go pick up my payday loan" - a co-worker as she was in a rush to leave work
- "I donated my hair to cancer patents" - my roommate talking to one of her co-workers, referring to her haircut ... this is also a blatant lie, she did get a haircut ... but in no way did she donate anything ... she is an ugly person
09 August 2008
- Facebook: actually who isn't on Facebook. I liked the days when lines used to be clear and defined: i.e. if you're in college you're on Facebook, and if you have illegitimate kids and still live with your parents you're on MySpace.
- Last.fm: I am such a stat rat, and since I'm connected to my iPod constantly, it's so cool that Last.fm tracks what I'm listening to ... in a total non-creepy Big Brother way, of course.
- Google, this also includes: GMail, GoogleDocs, GoogleReader
- Twitter: I was a non-Twitter believer, but alas, I have seen the light ... you, too, should join we could be Twitter buddies ;)
04 August 2008
- coffee mugs
- free/ promotional tee shirts: I typically don't have a problem with free things, but I have no use for XL tee shirts. It must be great for all of the XL people seeking free shirts ... but what about the rest of us?
- cell phones
- tv stations
- dumb people
- Starbucks (Starbuckses? Starbi?)
- crappy bands
- sea gulls & Canadian geese
- illegitimate children
02 August 2008
- So I had an idea
- I got the GRE vocabulary flash cards (500 words)
- my plan was to go through the cards and separate them into 2 stacks ...
- 1: words I don't know
- 2: words I know
- and then I was going to toss the ones I already know, and just study the ones I'm clueless about
- now ... as much as I read and write, words and I don't really get along. I'm a horrible speller, I can't do crossword puzzles, and I've never won a scrabble game
- as I went to divide my snazzy new flashcards, I quickly realized that there was not a lot of dividing to be done ... these stupid words are like a foreign language to me ... and the overwhelming majority of the cards were land landing in the "I don't know/ are you kidding me? -this sounds like a made up word" stack
- ... and then I started to get angry
- why are there so many stupid words?
- synonyms are dumb
- I've survived 25 years without ever saying, writing, or attempting to pronounce: hoodwink, munificent, odious, contumacious, bumptious, acumen ... I could go on. Why should I start now?
01 August 2008
31 July 2008
- watching The Price is Right
- drinking 40oz.'s
- ate at a Chinese buffet
- watching Jeopardy
- checking the mail
- mourning the conclusion of July 2008
- registering money on Where's George
- not doing laundry, cleaning, or going to the grocery store
- I was honked at by a guy on a Vespa in a, 'damnnnn you're hot girl' sort of honk
29 July 2008
- I have been in panic mode being that July is practically done ... this has led to writers/ listers block/ overwhelmed with life and unable to write block.
- I won one of these on ebay today
- I watch Army Wives
- I used to like my handwriting ... now I don't
- I never dot i's ... it's inefficient
- Jeopardy is having their tournament of champions this week and next week ... which is awesome
- concurring Sudoku puzzles makes me feel smart
- I can't remember the last time I saw lightening bugs or ate honeysuckle ... or the last time I saw honeysuckle or ate lightening bugs