- Had a wonderful summer weekend that included:
- Kenny Chesney concert
- playing in a dodgeball tournament
- going to the Indy Car Race in Richmond
- brunch at Marker 20
- ... I'm headed to summer camp next week, so this week is the last week of shenanigans for a while
29 June 2009
26 June 2009
25 June 2009
- I was trying to access the online catalog for the library
- then I stumbled upon the Summer Youth Employment Program
- you know, just your basic summer library job for kids who are 16-24
- ... but then I realized you had to qualify by being one (or more) of the following:
- behind in school credits
- behind in grade level
- basic skill deficient
- juvenile offender
- pregnant or parenting
- school dropout
- homeless, runaway, or foster child
- Are these kids really competent to be working at a library (of all places)?
- ... and, are these the type of kids you really want working for you?
24 June 2009
I was taken aback by the DC Metro crash earlier this week.
Due to my time spent in living Fairfax, as well as working and drinking downtown I have:
- spent bunches and bunches of money in order to ride,
- battled rush hour crowds,
- bitched about train delays,
- bitched about the crowds on the platforms,
- bitched about the crowds on the trains,
- bitched about smelly homeless people on the trains,
- bitched about the tourists who ride at rush hour in the summer,
- dealt with the fact that iPods/ cell phones destroy SmartTrip cards,
- scowled at obnoxious drunk people,
- and been an obnoxious drunk person,
- on the Metro too many times to count.
Nonetheless, the Metro enabled me to be able to venture to almost all corners of DC. So even though I am currently out of the realm of the mass transit system ... my thoughts and prayers have wandered that way this week.
Label me this: DC
23 June 2009
- Where can you find me Monday nights?
- well ... I'll admit it: I've been watching the Bachelorette
- I have never watched the Bachelor or the Bachelorette ... so it is something new for me
- I think it is interesting because it just seems faker than most other reality shows ... it all just seems very staged/ set up, and it seems like everyone is there for reasons other than, "to find love."
- Anyway, the more the show goes on, the more I think Jillian is utterly dumb and deserves to be with Wes
- I mean, who can't see through his bs?
Label me this: confessions
20 June 2009
The 30 Washington Insiders You Should Follow on Twitter according to The Atlantic:
- Mike Allen
- Marc Ambinder
- Chris Cillizza
- Ana Marie Cox
- John Dickerson
- Patrick Gavin
- Newt Gingrich
- David Gregory
- Israeli Consulate General of New York
- Mark Knoller
- Howard Kurtz
- Rachel Maddow
- John McCain
- Meghan McCain
- Claire McCaskill
- Mike Memoli
- Markos Moulitsas
- Mike Mullen
- Bill Nelson
- Karl Rove
- Patrick Ruffini
- Barham Salih
- Scott Simon
- George Stephanopoulos
- Jake Tapper
- Fred Thompson
- Joe Trippi
- Karen Tumulty
- Dave Weigel
- West Wing Report
19 June 2009
18 June 2009
- I envy crossword puzzle doers ... my poor spelling skills + sub par vocabulary = not crossword friendly
- Jeopardy is the -ish
- Chess is dumb
- however, I like Mancala
- I have a pocket sized copy of the U.S. Constitution that I got my senior year of high school; I still carry it with me most of the time.
- I judge [book] covers
- I judge [you] based on the book I see you with
Label me this: confessions
17 June 2009
Last week, via [F]oxymoron's Twitter ... I stumbled upon the 50 most frequently looked up words on NYtimes.com. Clearly, NY Times is not your typical local paper ... here are the Top 10 words:
- sui generis
Check out the rest here.
15 June 2009
12 June 2009
11 June 2009
- The hip nonconforming punk rock teenager that I claim to once be would have been proud of me.
- I went and saw No Doubt last night.
- This is how it started:
- - Liz (me): don't laugh at me, but, I-really-wanna-go-to-the-No-Doubt-concert
- - Lindsay: Me too!
- ... so we got tickets, (for $14.00!) and went to the show.
- First of all, when we got there we accidentally ended up in the 'premiere parking' section ... which, if you did not assume, is in the very front, and costs $20.00 to put your car there.
- We were there for free which was nice to park in the front ... and when we left we got suck in absolutely no traffic ... a first for me.
- Anyway, I loved the show
- Gwen Stefani is the -ish
- She ran around, and jumped around, and spun in circles, and did push ups (!) ... real push ups.
- I was amazed at how many people were there
- I believe it is a testament to the quality of a band that their last studio album came out in 2001 ... and they are still able to fill an amphitheatre to capacity.
- The show was full of energy, and the amazing songs that built the foundation of their greatness.
10 June 2009
- I just got the Scrabble Slam game
- I am the black sheep in a family of devout Scrabble players
- I also joke that there is too much thinking required by Scrabble to consider it a 'game.'
- Luckily, the people over at Hasbro have developed a Scrabble game for 'my' people in the form of Slam.
- I really like it because:
- it's quick ... you jut play through the deck, and then the game it over
- there's no point counting
- you don't have to wait your turn - everyman for himself
- it's fun
- ... and challenging at times ... puts that brain of yours to work.
- I also like playing it because I believe it's one of the few games that kids could play as well as people tall enough to ride roller coasters.
- So, if you're like me:
- short attention span
- me-di-o-cre spelling skills
- frugal (Slam is $5.00)
- ... you'll probably enjoy it, too.
07 June 2009
06 June 2009
- For some reason, this past week the joke has been on me ... nothing has gone my way
- Thursday all I wanted for lunch was a roast beef & cheese sandwich from Schlotzsky's
- but I didn't want to spend money ... I dealt with the internal conflict, and decided to go and buy lunch
- So I went to Schlotzsky's and payed $5.79 for a roast beef & cheese
- When I got home my sister asked what I picked up for lunch ... I started rambling about:
- - how much I like Schlotzsky's sandwich's
- - that the last time I ate there was about a month ago
- - and ever since then I have been craving it.
- .... I was talking as I was unwrapping my sandwich ... and then there was silence when I realized I was not looking down at a roast beef & cheese
- I unwrapped some sort of wrap
- it was basically salad, a few pieces of chicken, dressing, rolled up in a soft taco
- ... like I said, jokes on me
- so I ate it
- it was like punishment food
- AND whatever mystery dressing was on it made my mouth tingle ... and by 'tingle' I mean burn uncontrollably ... and my eyes water ... and my nose run
- it was not a fun experience
- ... nor was it the delightful lunch that I had planned on consuming
Label me this: rant
05 June 2009
Recently my sister purchased a Pet Camera for the family cat, McNabb. You simply clip the cam to his collar, and then it snaps a picture every 5 minutes. I was very surprised with the quality of the pictures. As a result of the footage ... it's clear the McNabb is a chronic napper ... below is a picture of him in the grass; I thought it was adorable because you can see his lil' paws stretched out.
04 June 2009
- there is currently a road being widened near my parents house, so there seems to be construction workers out n' about constantly
- a few months ago, the UPS man asked my brother if he has seen the guy who wears a cowboy had hat ... as opposed to your typical hard hat that construction workers wear
- ... ever since that conversation we have been [seemingly] keeping our eyes peeled when driving past the workers trying to spot a guy in a cowboy hard hat
- I never saw this guy that was supposedly out working in a hard hat disguised as a cowboy hat
- ... I was beginning to think that it was all made up
- I even looked it up online to see is such a thing existed
- ... then, one day about a week ago I was on my way to get something for lunch when I saw him ... seriously, it had become so built up, it was like spotting Santa Claus
- I believe I also almost hit him with my car
- ... good thing he was wearing his cowboy hard hat
Label me this: 757