Farewell July ... you've been great!
25 July 2009
- Who knows the 8 official U.S. Presidential titles?
- ... I could name 4.
- Chief executive
- Chief diplomat
- Chief legislator
- Chief jurist
- Chief of party
- Commander in chief
- World leader
- Voice of the people
24 July 2009
23 July 2009
- The 13 July 2009 issue of Newsweek was all about books!
- one of my favorite features was the piece they ran on favorite book covers ...
- in no particular order they chose the following books (& editions):
- A Million Little Pieces - James Frey (2003)
- The Year of Magical Thinking - Joan Didion (2005)
- Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth - Chris Ware (2000)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon (2003)
- A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers (2000)
- Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer (2002)
- Twilight - Stephanie Meyer (2005) ... bleh, well, no list is perfect
Label me this: books
22 July 2009
- Since camp, I have been settling back into my normal ... lame existence.
- It's a weird transition not having my days planned out for me, and not having to be certain places at certain times.
- Nonetheless, tomorrow I am heading down to Myrtle Beach for the weekend,
- and then the weekend after that I am headed to the Eastern Shore for a family reunion
- ... followed by hanging out with Lindsay in the Outer Banks
- ... and returning in time for the Dave Matthews Band concert.
- other than that, I hope to make it up to DC soon ... oh, how I miss it.
- I wish the summer lasted longer.
21 July 2009
- Whoop, whoop ... I am back.
- However, karma is a bitch.
- Remember when I was really bummed about having to go to summer camp?
- Well, fast forward 2 weeks, and I am completely bummed that camp is over.
- I have been in such a slump it isn't even funny.
- How did I spend my first night back from camp?
- ... well, while my friends were drinking and having fun ... I sat in a corner eating macaroni & cheese, drinking beer, and sulking about not having any campers to boss around.
- ... and by 'boss around' I mean, 'have lots of fun with and genuinely enjoy their company'
- this was the third time I have done camp ... and without a doubt, this was the best group of kids that I have had.
- They were really too good to be true; throughout the duration of camp, I kept waiting for everything to come crashing down and for them to reveal their true demon-esque selves, but that never happened.
- While I know there is a market for drug trafficking, maybe I can tap into a market for smuggling my campers that I liked back into the U.S.
04 July 2009
03 July 2009
02 July 2009
- So this weekend I am heading to summer camp
- ... to work.
- back when I was in college I worked summer camp ... and now that I am happily unemployed/ retired I have no real excuse not to go
- but my attitude right now?
- I am like a pouty kid being shipped away for the summer
- there are pros such as:
- a paycheck
- being out of my parents house for 2 weeks
- a paycheck
- being away from t.v. and computer
- as well as negatives:
- being surrounded by teenagers with raging hormones
- having to deal with campers' shenanigans
- having to work
- not getting as much sleep as I'm used to
- basically being held captive for the better part of July
- actually having to camp
- not being able to consume alcohol for the duration of camp
- ... and, of course I am completely unprepared ... I have not even thought about packing and I have to go shopping tomorrow for: bandaids, hair bands, batteries, sunscreen, bug spray, flying insect spray, and anti-itch spray in case the biting critters make it to my flesh
Label me this: summer