- beach sheet
- beach towel
- Sudoku puzzle book
- 2 pens
- note pad
- extra sunglasses
- tanning lotion
- tanning oil
- regular lotion
- lemon juice
- 2 can koozies
- hopes for an uber fun summer
30 May 2010
What better way to spend the holiday weekend than at the Outer Banks with some chums? I prepared my beach bag for the summer last night, it includes:
29 May 2010
- I ran in a 10k this morning
- last spring/ summer/ fall I participated in 5 races also
- I 'run'
- I am not a runner
- I just don't get it
- first of all there are 3 things in this world I don't enjoy doing:
- spending money
- getting up early
- today I did all three
- around mile 3.5 the wheels in my head started turning, thus I have the following questions:
- Are there people who actually enjoy running?
- Who are these people?
- What planet do they come from?
- ... even the fast/ advanced runners look absolutely miserable while they're running
- Why run? ... if you're not running from the cops, rabid dogs, or to get from one place to another ... what's the point?
Label me this: Liz the loser
28 May 2010
Not too long ago, Rachel posted this about lists, and that got me to thinking. Long before I was a list maker, I was a list lover. You are never too far from a list whether you notice it or not ... we're surrounded:
- Top 25 Most Played on iTunes
- Netflix Queue
- chronological lists
- alphabetical lists
- best of ...
- worst of ...
- Christmas lists
- Time's 100 Most Influential People
- to-do lists
- pretty much everything in Real Simple
- bucket lists
- goals/ resolutions/ 25 before 25/ 101 in 1001
- on tv: MTV's The Buried Life
- in books: listography
- on display: Artists' Lists ... at the Smithsonian American Art Museum
Like what I did there? What is there not to like about lists? Lists are convenient to those who are short on time or short on attention span. I am a fan of the organization, the order, the conciseness, the lack of 'fluff,' the fact that you have to put it all out there, and you're unable to hide behind an excess use of unnecessary words, phrases, and segues.
There is also a vulnerability when it comes to making any soft of bucket list (ugh, what a dumb term), resolutions, goals, or the ever popular 101 in 1001 lists. Whether the list is in the form of writing it on a scrap piece of paper or broadcasting it to the masses on your blog, you are entering into a contract of sorts with yourself. It is easy to keep your thoughts to yourself, but once you put it down in a list, it becomes real, and you are now somewhat accountable to complete the tasks.
Lists are the -ish.
... and just for the record, I went skydiving when I was 18 ... that's for all you 101 in 1001 kids out there.
Label me this: No List Friday
27 May 2010
I have not kept up with Grey's Anatomy this season like I have with the previous ones, but I did watch the season finale last week. These were my reactions ... and questions:
- Meredith's pregnant? --- like that will last
- Reed just got shot in the head? ugh, not a good morning
- Alex got shot? --- oh well, maybe he won't make it; he's such a jerk and Lexie is dumb for being with him
- Is that Mandy Moore?
- ... that really looks like Mandy Moore
- I really like Mandy in Saved, A Walk to Remember, and the Princess Diaries
- I wonder if she's on Twitter
- opening credits roll ... it really is Mandy Moore
- Who walks around shooting people? ... what a jerk
- the way Sloan protected Lexie and rushed her to the elevator was so endearing
- ... and then Alex is there bleeding
- he ruins everything
- Who has time to work on their relationship with a crazed killer on the loose?
- - everyone
- I'm thinking that in the real world you're typically unable to negotiate with a mass murderer
- DAMMMNNN Derek is dead
- ... oh wait, he's alive
- of course, I'm sure plenty of people survive shots to the middle of the chest like that?
- ok seriously? What type of SWAT team would shoot a guy in the shoulder, and then let him walk away?
- Why do the lesbians have the most functional relationship on the show?
- Gay propaganda, ABC?
- Hey Lexie, don't you hear Alex calling you 'Izzy'? ZING!
- oh good, Owen is sneaking back into the hospital ... he's been to Iraq ... he'll save the day for sure
- I'm pretty sure that if crazy guy really wanted Derek dead, he would simply shoot him again ... and again ... and again
- Seriously Meredith? ... you always have to make everything about you
- so much for Owen saving the day
- miscarriage ... predictable
- so the killer ends up in the room where his wife died, how touching
- ... not really
- believe what you want, but I'd like to think that if you go around killing innocent people ... doctors at that ... that the odds are you're not going to get to spend eternity with your dead wife
26 May 2010
I ate lunch today at Five Guys. Prior to moving to Fairfax, VA in 2003 I had never heard of Five Guys ... now it's here in Hampton and/ or Newport News ... the same goes for:
- Silver Diner
I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I enjoyed the diversity of the poles of Virginia, now it's turning into a cluster fudge of everywhere looking the same. In fact, the development where the Five Guys now is also home to:
- Barnes & Noble
- Super Target
- The Limited
All that is missing is an Urban Outfitters and a Noodles & Co. and they can rename the place, 'Little NOVA'
25 May 2010
Guilty! On Facebook and Twitter I have been known to:
I have several issues with this behavior. First of all I don't wink in real life (#2). Nor do I often stick my tongue out (#3) ... and I do not grin (#4) in real life nearly as much as I do online. And I can't take other people serious when they liter the net with these fictitious facial expressions, so why should I be above the law?
20 May 2010
- I have been known to read magazines free of charge at my friendly neighborhood Barnes & Noble.
- Today I caught myself ... while I always grab trashy gossip magazines, I noticed I always hide them behind more newsworthy and/or healthy lifestyle magazines for the walk from the periodicals section to the cafe section.
- One day maybe I'll have no shame about carrying the 'Sneak Peak at Sex & the City 2' or showing my interest in 'Sandra's New Life as a Mom' ... but today is not the day.
- Today I opted for:
- Women's Running May/ June 2010
- Mac Life June 2010
- Entertainment Weekly 21 May 2010
- US Weekly 31 May 2010
12 May 2010
- it appears that time doesn't just fly when you're having fun
- ... it flies regardless.
- I feel like I am constantly trying to keep up with time/ the present ... and constantly failing.
- Does that make sense?
- And lately I have been stagnant in almost every sense of the word, especially with regard to:
- keeping up with Life As List
- eating healthy
- going outside/ taking advantage of the nice weather
- job hunting
- winning the Lottery
- ... I may be turning into a sloth