I went to the beach last week.
I have a routine when I go:
- I typically go to the same spot
- preferably near the water
- but not too close to the water
- and away from people
- especially if the people are kids
- after I get situated, I jump into the water
- ... not really jump so much as fly through the scorching hot sand, and then wade into the water
- nonetheless, I get in the water, go under, re-emerge, retreat back to my claimed territory, and then read while I dry off.
Sounds simple right? Well, last week everything was going swimmingly until it was time for me to go under water.
- The sun was shinning, the water was flat, as I plunged into the bay.
- Per usual, I had my sun glasses on.
- Spoiler alert: that didn't last.
- In my mind, I am also a lot more graceful than I am in real life.
- So I went to go underwater; and then I felt my glasses slipping off of my face.
- My natural reaction was to open my mouth.
- My mouth immediately filled with salt water
- ... and ruined the gum I was chewing on.
- ... which caused me to yell/ grimace/ choke all at the same time
- AND all the while I was trying to retrieve my glasses that I felt ricocheting off of me as they drifted away.
- Luckily I was able to catch my breath, fix my hair, and retrieve my glasses after a brief yet frantic search.
- ... I am still on the hunt for my dignity and grace.